The Holy Bible – God’s Word. There is no other book like it on the face of the Earth, both now or throughout history. It is unique in its continuity, its translations, its circulation, its survival throughout the ages, its teachings and its influence.
Here are some interesting facts that prove without a shadow of a doubt that the Bible is unique from all other books ever written.
- Written over a 1,500 year span
- Written by over 40 authors from just about every walk of life – kings, military leaders, peasants, philosophers, poets, tax collectors, musicians, statesmen, scholars, shepherds and even fishermen.
- Written on three separate continents – Asia, Africa and Europe.
- Written in three languages – Hebrew, Aramic and Greek.
- Written in a wide variety of literature styles – historical narrative, prophecy, poetry, song, romance, law, biography, autobiography, satire, parable, allegory and even personal correspondence.
- Addresses hundreds of controversial subjects and yet presents a single unfolding story – God’s redemption of humanity.
- Despite having 66 books and hundreds of hundreds of verses, its one central character is the one true God represented through Jesus Christ.
- More copies of the Bible have been circulated than any other book in history.
- The Bible has been translated into more languages than any other piece of literature ever – over 2,200 languages at this present time.
- Compared with other ancient writings, the Bible has more manuscript evidence to support it than any ten pieces of classical literature combined.
- The Bible is the only book to contain hundreds of prophecies, some written hundreds of years in advance, that have been literally fulfilled. You do not see this in other books that claim “divine” inspiration including The Book of Mormon and the Koran.
In addition to these amazing facts and statistics, the Bible has had more influence on literature than any other book. Gabriel Sivan writes:
No other document in the possession of mankind offers so much to the reader – ethical and religious instruction, superb poetry, a social program and legal code, an interpretation of history, and all the joys, sorrows and hopes which well up in man and which Israel’s prohpets and leaders expressed with matchless force and passion.
Historian Philip Schaff, in The Person of Christ, describes the uniqueness of the Bible and the Savior:
The Jesus of Nazereth, without money and arms, conquered more millions than Alexander, Caesar, Mohammed and Napoleon; without science and learning, He shed more light on things human and divine than all philosophers and scholars combined; without the eloquence of schools, He spoke such words of life as were never spoken before or since, and produced effects which lie beyond the reach of orator or poet; without writing a single line, He set more pens in motion and furnished themes for more sermons, orations, discussions, learned volumes, works of art, and songs of praise than the whole army of great men of ancient and modern times.
While the facts above do not prove that the Bible is the Word of God, they do prove that the Bible is uniquely superior to any and all other books. As I am currently re-reading Josh McDowell’s most excellent book – More Evidence That Demands a Verdict, I will be putting together a series of posts in the very near future that provide indisputable evidence that the Bible is God’s Word and that Jesus is who He says He is.
David Wallace is a search & social media marketer who lives in Ahwatukee, Arizona with his lovely wife. Interests & hobbies include Christianity, musicianship, all things Disney, and roller coasters to name a few.