Here we have compiled a collection of Biblical and Christian illustrations on the topic of the Church.
Definition of Fat
Allow me to define fat. It involves scores of passive parishioners sitting week after week, soaking up what is in some cases gourmet preaching, but who are still infected with a disease called “spectatorism.” This mass of untapped potential is generally educated far beyond their level of obedience, and is not translating Christian theory into practice. Spectatorism generally creates flabby, weak, spoon-fed believers who have grown old, but not up, in the Lord. They know more about church policy than evangelism, and are better acquainted with parliamentary procedure than with discipleship.
Pastor Quits Sports:Ten Reasons Why a Clergyman Stopped Attending Athletic Contests
1. Every time I went, they asked me for money.
2. The people with whom I had to sit didn’t seem very friendly.
3. The seats were too hard and not comfortable.
4. The coach never came to call on me.
5. The referee made a decision with which I could not agree.
6. I was sitting with some hypocrites — they came only to see what others were wearing.
7. Some games went into overtime, and I was late getting home.
8. The band played some numbers that I had never heard before.
9. My parents took me to too many games when I was growing up.
10. Since I read a book on sports, I feel that I know more than the coaches anyhow.
On the bottom of the page was this one line postscript: “With apologies to those who use these same excuses for not coming to church.”
Do you have a illustration that you would like to see added to The Jesus Site?
Please feel free to submit it to us for our consideration.