The United States a Christian Nation? Think Again!
While the United States may have been originally founded as a Christian nation or at least based on Christian values, to say that the U.S. is a Christian nation today is to fool ourselves. As God becomes less evident in our schools, our government, our money, the media, and even our homes, this country continues to move further and further away from traditional Christian values.
Think I am wrong? Just look at how twisted our values have become.
- Have exploited the poor and called it the lottery.
- We have rewarded laziness and called it welfare.
- We have killed our unborn and called it choice.
- We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self esteem.
- We have abused power and called it politics.
- We have coveted our neighbor’s possessions and called it ambition.
- We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of speech and expression.
- We have ridiculed the time honored values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.
So to call ourselves a Christian nation is stretching the truth quite a bit. To say we are a heathen nation in which some Christians live would be a far more accurate statement.
Note: The list above was adapted from Pastor Joe Wright’s prayer when he was asked to open the Kansas House of Representatives session of congress on January 23, 1996