One of the core doctrines of pro-gay orthodoxy is that homosexuals are born gay. In other words, God made them that way so “gay must be okay.” Even though science has failed to affirm or deny this, the vast majority of gays and their supporters are convinced of it.
An article I recently read entitled “Five Logical Errors of Born Gay Ideology” got me thinking more about this. While I’m not going to comment on all five reasons the author gave, I would like to touch on one and that is homosexuals’ argument that it is God’s fault they were born gay.
I really like what the author of the article I reference above says regarding this.
Of all the untenable conclusions drawn from the born gay premise, this is the most scandalous. Whereas claiming that God has His hand in the creation of every child is uncontroversial, alleging that every element of that child’s physical, emotional and even sexual state at birth are all intended by God is quite another thing. If this pattern of inference were allowed, we would have to believe that God desires every birth defect, handicap, psychological disorder or behavioral tendency we can trace to early childhood. God may allow such things, but that is theological miles from saying that God wanted them.
I would also pose a very simple but logical question to the argument that homosexuals are born gay: If being homosexual was acceptable in the eyes of God’s, being a perfectly natural relational and sexual option, don’t you think He would have given homosexuals the ability to reproduce as a result of engaging in sexual activity? You would think so if homosexuality was okay and a natural option to being hetrosexual.
However, we know that two men or two women engaging in sexual activity cannot reproduce and that only a man and woman have the ability to reproduce and have children. It is therefore quite logical to say that homosexuality is completely unnatural and not the will of God.
Some will argue that many men and women in sexual relationships cannot reproduce for one reason or another. However, that is not a solid argument as the functionality is there – something is simply broken.
What you can never say is that two men or two women having sex have the ability to reproduce and have children. And why is that? Very simple – God never intended men to have sex with men and women to have sex with women.
This is why He established marriage as between one man and one woman. Jesus made reference to this in Matthew 19:4-6:
4. And He answered and said, “Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE,
5. and said, ‘FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH ‘?
6. So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.” [NASB]
Romans 1:18-32 also clearly indicates how un-natural homosexuality is.
18. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19. because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
21. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22. Professing to be wise, they became fools,
23. and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.
24. Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.
25. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26. For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural,
27. and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
28. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,
29. being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil ; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice ; they are gossips,
30. slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents,
31. without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful;
32. and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them. [NASB – emphasis mine]
Here is what we can learn from this portion of scripture:
- The fact that God exists is evident within us (our sub conscience) and in creation itself. (v. 18-20)
- Many people refuse to honor or give thanks to God. (v. 21-23)
- Because people exchange the truth of God for a lie, He gives them over in the lusts of their hearts (v. 24-25)
- Homosexual behavior is one of the results of being “given over.” (v. 26-27)
- Additional results of being “given over.” (v. 28-31)
- Those who commit the indecent acts spoken of in verses 26-31, approve of those who do the same. (v. 32)
Now one might look at this portion of scripture and blame God for homosexual behavior because it was He who “gave them over”. However, you must remember that it was “the people” who sinned in the first place by not giving glory, honor or thanks to God – in other words, refusing to recognize who He really is. It almost paints a picture that if we refuse to acknowledge God, we are susceptible to any form of evil. There is still free will of course but it is almost like all restraints have been removed.
This is not to say that every person who refuses to honor God is going to become a homosexual, however this portion of scripture as well as the fact that homosexuals are not able to procreate is a clear indication that homosexual behavior is not natural and adds to the argument that homosexuals were not born in that state.
David Wallace is a search & social media marketer who lives in Ahwatukee, Arizona with his lovely wife. Interests & hobbies include Christianity, musicianship, all things Disney, and roller coasters to name a few.